Infertility is a serious problem that affects over 5 million people in the United States alone. It can be caused by a number of factors that impair the reproductive system from functioning properly.
However, many times, not being able to conceive is more of a natural “unlucky spell” combined with couples not taking the proper steps to increase the chances of conception once they have decided that they want a pregnancy.
Here’s a few facts and tips to help you increase your chances of a conception:
- The ultimate time to have inter-course is during the woman’s ovulation period which occurs between 12 and 16 days before her next menstrual cycle begins.
- To increase chances even further, be sure to have inter-course the night before ovulation is to begin. This way, the sperm will be ready and waiting for the egg to arrive in the fallopian tube.
- Having inter-course in the missionary position (woman on her back with the man on top) is typically known as the best possible position for the woman’s uterus to receive the man’s sperm. In some cases this may vary, so you may want to ask your doctor if they have any suggestions on position for you.
- Give the sperm time to swim! After inter-course, try and lie still for about 10-15 minutes so you give the sperm ample time to reach it’s destination.
- Sperm can live and hang out in the fallopian tube for 2 or 3 days if necessary, so it’s possible to conceive on the third day after having se*x.
- Having repeated intercourse during the week of ovulation will drastically increase the chances of sperm being in the fallopian tube when the ovulation period begins.